Soccer icon Sir David Beckham has left La-LA land for a sixth month stint with PSG-Paris Saint Germain and pledged all his wages to an unknown children’s charity.
“Throughout this time now I won’t receive any salary, it will go towards a local children’s charity in Paris and we’re very excited and proud about that.” –Beckham Continue reading
Beckham received a major blow today…hot stuff’s been widely expected to be named as one of the three over-age players in Stuart Pearce’s Under-23 squad for the London Games in July and August…but it’s not gonna happen. Beckham has been left OFF the squad.
“’Everyone knows how much playing for my country has always meant to me. So I would have been honored to have been part of this unique Team GB squad…Naturally I am very disappointed, but there will be no bigger supporter of the team than me,” Beckham, 37, said in quotes relayed by his spokesman on Thursday. “As a Londoner, I will have been really proud to have played a small part in bringing the Olympics to my home town as part of Seb’s [Coe] team, and I can’t wait for the games to begin and enjoy every moment along with the rest of Great Britain.”
As a globally recognized figure, he has had a major role both in London winning the Olympics and in the build-up to the Games, helping bring the flame back from Greece.
He had been tipped by media to light the stadium cauldron when the Games begin in his east London birthplace on July 27.
This now looks unlikely while he definitely will not be able to be the British flag bearer at the opening ceremony as he is not competing.
Critics who believe football has an uneasy place in the Games because of the vast sums of money professionals earn had said they would be uncomfortable with the Olympics becoming a “David Beckham show”.
Huh? Even in his prime, I don’t recall any Olympic games that turned into “a David Beckham show.” Beckham was part of the closing ceremony at the 2008 Beijing Olympics as part of the London 2012 team…that seemed to go well, no?
Beckham told reporters last month: “I don’t want to be picked on a shirt sale or a stadium filler. I want to be picked because of what I can bring to the team.”
Apparently, the finicky Brits are done with the man who brings class and talent to the games. Because that is what he represents-and sex appeal of course. We suspect his absence is going to cause a bigger side-show than his involvement would have.
And, if our judgment serves correct, you will see Beckham looking finer than hell, with a smile on his face, cheering for the squad that snubbed him while using the opportunity to raise global awareness for the causes he supports.
It was less than a year ago that Golden Balls-acting as a Paralympics Games Ambassador- joined Team GB’s visually impaired footballers for their training session-and scored a goal while blindfolded. Apparently, even that doesn’t qualify him for the squad.
As always, thanks for reading~
The London Organizing Committee of the Olympic Games and Paralympic Games (LOCOG) has confirmed that London 2012 ambassador David Beckham will attend the Olympic Flame Handover Ceremony in Athens and bring the Flame back to the UK ahead of its 70 day journey, presented by Coca-Cola, Lloyds TSB and Samsung.
The best part? Sir Golden Balls will be joined by five young people who’ve been invited to take part in recognition of their commitment to sport and their role in promoting the Olympic values of friendship, excellence and respect within their school or college. Continue reading